- Serves: 3 meals
- Costs: About $4.15 per burger
- Can of pineapple rings
- Canola oil as needed
- 3 lean chicken burgers
- Sprinkling of barbecue powder, onion powder and salt
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into thin, round ringlets
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin round ringlets
- 3 whole wheat Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- Low-fat Thousand Island salad dressing
Cook the pineapple slices on a grill pan or barbecue that has been brushed with oil. Cook, over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes on each side, or until light grill marks are made. Cook in 2 batches if needed.
Cook the burgers on the barbecue or in a large skillet, over a moderate heat. Sprinkle with barbecue powder, salt and onion powder. Cook for about 6 minutes on each side, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
Meanwhile, chop the green pepper and red onion into rings.
Spread the top and bottom side of the buns with Thousand Island dressing. Top each burger with 2 to 3 slices of pineapple, and then with green pepper and red onion rings. Slice each sandwich in half. Serve with extra Thousand island dressing on the side for dipping.
Calories: 490 per burger
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen