Whether you serve this quiche for a weekend brunch or a weeknight dinner, you’ll appreciate the simple preparation. Prepare it with tomato soup for a lovely contrast.
Serves 6, 1 wedge per serving II Preparation time: 12 minutes II Cooking time: 40 to 45 minutes II Standing time: 5 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained, patted dry, and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly spray and 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, flour, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the pie pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top of the quiche is golden and the center is set (doesn’t jiggle when the pan is lightly shaken). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Calories 119; Total fat 4 g; Saturated fat 1.5 g; Trans fat 0 g; Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g; Monounsaturated 1.5 g; Cholesterol 110 mg; sodium 257 mg; carbohydrates 10 g; Fiber 1 g; Sugars 3 g; Protein 11 g; Dietary exchanges 1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat.
– from the book, “Quick & Easy Cookbook”, by the American Heart Association