This tangy dip is excellent served with herbed pita chips or with fresh vegetables, such as red pepper strips and baby carrots. It also doubles as a sandwich spread-it’s excellent on whole grain bread with arugula and sliced heirloom tomatoes.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) white kidney beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor; pulse until smooth.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per 1/4 cup serving: 133 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 17 g carbohydrate, 0 g fibre, 0 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium
Tip: If the dip is too thick, add an additional teaspoon of lemon juice.
– from the book, “Leslie Beck’s Healthy Kitchen, 250 Quick and Delicious Recipes Plus Essential Kitchen Tips”, by Leslie Beck RD, with Michelle Gelok RD