Fresh mango and strips of red pepper add colour to this tasty stir-fry, not to mention a considerable amount of vitamin C, potassium and beta carotene.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 12 ounce (350 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) strips
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger root (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups red pepper strips
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tbsp cashews
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; saute until chicken begins to brown and cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger root; continue to saute for another minute. Add broccoli; saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper, mango, orange juice, red pepper flakes and cashews; saute for another 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve over warm rice.
Per serving: 398 calories, 33 g protein, 10 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fibre, 63 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium
– from the book, “Leslie Beck’s Healthy Kitchen, 250 Quick and Delicious Recipes Plus Essential Kitchen Tips”, by Leslie Beck RD, with Michelle Gelok RD