The microwave oven bakes the acorn squash in minutes for this delightfully sweet side dish.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 pound acorn squash
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- 1/2 cup apple juice (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- Cut squash in half length-wise and discard seeds and membranes. Set squash halves, cut-side up, in an 8 x 8 x 2-inch microwavable baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup water into dish, cover, and microwave on High (100%) for 5 minutes.
- Fill cavity of each squash half with 1 tablespoon raisins.
- In 1-cup liquid measure combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve cornstarch. Pour half of mixture into each squash cavity. Cover and microwave on High for 2 minutes, until squash is fork tender and liquid thickens.
Each serving provides: 1/2 bread; 1 fruit; 15 optional calories
Per serving: 140 calories; 2 g protein; 0.3 g fat; 36 g carbohydrate, 74 mg calcium; 9 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g dietary fibre
– from the book, “Simply Light Cooking, 250 Recipes from the Kitchens of Weight Watchers”