A savoury snack that’s crave-worthy morning, noon and night! These freeze beautifully in a resealable bag for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Prep time: 10 minutes II Cook time: 25 minutes II Makes 12 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour and whole wheat flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using two knives or pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles course meal. Stir in cheese, chives and rosemary.
- In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk and egg. Pour all at once over flour mixture, and stir with a fork until mixture holds together in a soft sticky ball. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead dough a couple of times. Using floured hands, pan into layer about 1-inch thick. Using 2- or 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits, rerolling scraps to get an even dozen. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Nutritional analysis per biscuit: Calories 160; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 21g; Fat, total 6g; Fat, saturated 4g; Fat, trans 0g; Cholesterol 35mg; Fibre 1g; Sodium 300mg.
– from the book, “Mindfull, Over 100 Delicious Recipes for Better Brain Health”, by Carol Greenwood, PhD, Daphna Rabinovitch, and Joanna Gryfe.