- Serves: 5 incomplete meals
- Costs: Approximately $2.55 per serving; 12.75 to feed 5
- 1 large green pepper (about 2 cups), medium-dice
- 3 cloves garlic (about 1 tablespoon), minced
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapenos, minced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, (about 1 cup), medium-dice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 450 kg/1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 3 cups/680 ml/24 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 540 ml/19 ounce can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Sauté the green pepper, garlic, jalapeno and onion in oil in a large skillet. Cook over a moderate heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the garlic begins to turn brown, and once the vegetables become fragrant.
Add the ground beef to the vegetables. Break the beef apart into small bite-sized chunks as you cook it. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook, for 8 or 9 minutes, or until all of the meat has lost its pink. Drain the fat from the pan, if needed.
Stir in the tomato sauce, beans, chilli powder and cumin. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and then cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring periodically. Sprinkle with parsley.
Calories: 282 per serving; fat content: 4 grams fat per serving
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen