Serve these delicious meatballs over mashed potatoes or steamed brown rice. You can make tiny meatballs and serve them with toothpicks as appetizers.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fresh whole wheat or regular breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce (796 ml) can plum tomatoes, with juices, pureed
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare meatballs, in a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup and salt. Shape into about 20 balls.
- Heat oil in a large, deep non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook gently for a few minutes, or until fragrant but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heats and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Gently add meatballs to sauce. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve meatballs sprinkled with parsley.
- Calories 228
- Protein 19 g
- Fat 9 g
- Saturates 3 g
- Cholesterol 71 mg
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 812 mg
- Potassium 637 mg
- Excellent: Niacin, Vitamin B12
- Good: Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamins B6 and C, Iron
– book, by Bonnie Stern, called “Heart Smart” in co-operation with the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada