Any kind of winter squash can be used in this recipe, but butternut or buttercup are particularly rich in texture and taste.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) butternut squash (about 2 lb/1 kg peeled and seeded)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds and stringy pulp.
- Place squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Scoop squash into bowl and mash coarsely with brown sugar mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately, or spoon into a casserole dish and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Calories 103
- Protein 2 g
- Fat trace
- Saturates 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrate 27 g
- Fibre trace
- Sodium 105 mg
- Potassium 619 mg
- Excellent: Vitamins A and C
- Good: Vitamin B6, folate
– book, by Bonnie Stern, called “Heart Smart” in co-operation with the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada