Choose Yukon gold potatoes, as they aren’t as dry, so that they require less fat needed.
- Servings: 4 side dish servings
- Costs: Approximately $1.10 per serving
- 4 cups potatoes (about 4 to 5 medium-sized), peeled, quartered, preferably Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup low-fat (5%-fat) sour cream
- 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
Bring the sliced potatoes to boil in salted water in a large saucepan. Cook, partly covered, over a moderate heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
Add the margarine to the hot potatoes. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in the green onions and sour cream.
Calories: 158 calories per serving; fat content: 2 grams fat per serving, re-calculate
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen