- Yields: 2 side-dish servings
Approximate costs: $3.50 per serving
- 2-1/2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 apple, with skin intact, sliced into short strips
- The juice from a freshly squeezed lemon (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella and Cheddar cheese mix
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon soy bacon bits
- 2/3 cup low-fat Caesar salad croutons
- Low-fat Caesar salad dressing
- Divide the chopped lettuce into 2 individual serving bowls. Chop the apple and toss with lemon juice. Add to the lettuce. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/2 teaspoon parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon bacon bits and 1/3 cup croutons.
- Serve with ramekins filled with salad dressing placed in the center of each bowl.
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen