These chewy squares have a delicious nutty flavor and make a perfect mid-afternoon snack. These squares also double as a quick grab-and-go breakfast when you’re short on time.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9 x 9 (2.5 L) metal cake pan.
- Combine oats, almonds and coconut on a large baking sheet. Place in oven and toast for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in a large mixing bowl to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, honey, canola oil, egg whites and vanilla.
- When oat mixture is cool, add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir to combine.
- Empty batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squares begin to brown and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Per serving: 179 cal, 5 g pro, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 g carb, 3 g fibre, 0 mg chol, 95 mg sodium
– from the book, Leslie Beck’s Healthy Kitchen, by Leslie Beck RD with Michelle Gelok RD