Bosc pears are the firmest of the pear varieties and hold their shape well in this dish.
- 2 pound boneless pork roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 4 Bosc pears, sliced
- 1/2 pound pearl onions
- 1/2 cup pork or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Rub the pork on all sides with the spices. Place in a Dutch oven. Add the remaining ingredients and saute until the onions and pork begin to brown, about 8 to 15 minutes.
- Put the Dutch oven in the oven and roast for 45 minutes or until fully cooked.
Cooking tip: Peeling pearl onions can be tough but there is an easier way. First cut the pointy end off of the onion. Then boil it for 2 minutes. Drain and cool. Squeeze the root end of the onion to pop the onion out of its skin.
Calories: 263 I Fat: 6 g I Protein: 34 g I Sodium: 496 mg I Fiber: 4 g I Carbohydrates: 18 g I Sugar: 11 g
– from, The Everything Whole Foods Cookbook, by Rachel Rappaport