- Serves: 1 complete meal
- Approximate costs: $3.80
- 2 frozen breaded chicken strips or leftover cooked chicken
- 10-inch multi-grain tortilla
- 1 heaping tablespoon low-fat (5%-fat) sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella and cheddar mix, divided
- 1/8 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup plum or roma tomato (about 1/2 of a tomato), diced
- 1/8 cup green onions, thinly sliced
Cook the chicken strips in the oven according to its package directions. Once cooked slice into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
While the chicken cooks, slice the salsa ingredients. Set aside.
Spread the sour cream over one half side of one of the tortilla. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese over the sour cream. Arrange the green pepper over the cheese, followed by the tomato, sliced chicken, the remaining cheese and lastly the green onions.
Heat the open-faced quesadilla in the microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and stringy.
Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the other half. Gently press into place with your hands. Slice into 3 sections with a pizza cutter, similarly to slicing a pizza.
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen