Try this protein-rich spread as a dip for raw vegetables at your next party.
- 20 ounces warm, cooked chickpeas
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3-1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and puree. Add water or additional lemon juice as needed to creagte a smooth mixture.
Calories: 135 l fat: 5 g l protein: 6 g l Sodium: 10 mg l Fiber: 5 g l Carbohydrates: 18 g l Sugar: 3 g
Homemade Pita Chips
Tastier and more affordable then store-bought, these chips are great with hummus and many dips.
- 12 pitas, each cut into 8 triangles
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp hot paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the pita wedges in a single layer on the sheets. Set aside.
- Stir together the oil and spices. Brush the top of each triangle with the seasoned oil. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until crispy.
Calories: 109 l Fat: 3 g l Protein: 3 g l Sodium: 210 mg I Fiber: 1 g I Carbohydrates: 17 g I Sugar: 0 g
– from, The Everything Whole Foods Cookbook, by Rachel Rappaport