In this dish, the squash cooks with the rice, infusing the rice with its sweet flavor.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, diced
- 2 cups rice (long grain or jasmine would work well)
- 1 lb cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups water
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven. Add the garlic, shallot, and pepper and saute until the shallots are soft, about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 to 30 minutes. Stir. Serve immediately.
Calories: 515 I Fat: 8 g I Protein: 10 g I Sodium: 308 mg I Fiber: 5 g I Carbohydrates: 103 g I Sugar: 4 g
– from, The Everything Whole Foods Cookbook, by Rachel Rappaport