Makes 8 servings
- 1 package (1/3 ounce/10 g) no-sugar-added strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups lower-fat non-dairy whipped topping, divided
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries, divided
Graham water crust: (see below)
- Pour gelatin into a medium bowl and stir in boiling water. Stir for 2 minutes, until all of the gelatin is dissolved.
- Add enough ice to the cold water to make 1 cup (250 ml). Stir into the gelatin until its slightly thickened and the ice is melted.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) of the whipped topping and yogurt and mix until smooth. Fold in 1/2-cup (125 ml) of the strawberries. Cover and refrigerate for 10 to 14 minutes, or until mixture begins to set.
- Spoon into graham wafer crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until firm. Garnish with the remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) strawberries and the remaining 1/2 cup whipped topping.
Graham Wafer Crust:
- 3/4 cup graham wafer crumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted soft margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine graham wafer crumbs, margarine, cinnamon and nutmeg. Press into pie plate.
Variations: Use your favorite fruit-flavored gelatin and fruit. For example, try orange-flavored gelatin with mandarin oranges or raspberry-flavored gelatin with fresh raspberries.
- Calories per serving 116
- Protein 3 g
- Fat 6 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Carbohydrate 5 mg
- Sodium 151 mg
– Canada’s Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes, by Colleen Bartley, in association with the Canadian Diabetes Association