These crispy squares are fun for kids to make, but be careful to mix quickly and thoroughly once you have added all of the ingredients to the melted marshmallows.
- Makes 24 squares (1 per serving)
- 13- by 9-inch (3L) baking pan, lined with foil and sprayed with vegetable spray
- 1/4 cup soft margarine
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large, heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt margarine. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the rice cereal, cocoa and vanilla and mix until evenly coated. Add oats, coconut, raisins and chocolate chips and mix until evenly coated.
- Press evenly into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until firm. Using foil, lift the bars out of the pan and cut into 24 squares.
Tip #1: So you can get the squares out of the pan easily, allow the foil to extend over the edges of the pan.
Tip #2: To cut easily into neat squares, dip your knife into hot water before each cut.
- Calories per serving 94
- Protein 1 g
- Fat 4 g
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Carbohydrate 15 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 84 mg
– Canada’s Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes, by Colleen Bartley, in association with the Canadian Diabetes Association