Food writer: Carolyn Cashen
This recipe is a version of a Canadian restaurant favorite. It’s 700 calories; which is a little high.
- Serves: 4 complete meal servings
- Approximate costs: $4.25 per serving
- Cooking utensils needed: large skillet, microwave
- 1 medium-sized green pepper, (about 1-1/2 cups), medium-diced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion (about 1 cup), diced
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapenos, minced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups/12 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1 large tomato, medium-diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 220 g bag of whole grain tortilla chips
- Low-fat (5%-fat) sour cream as needed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella and cheddar cheese mix
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Saute the green pepper in oil, in a large skillet, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook, covered, for 3 or 4 more minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ground chicken, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook, over a moderate heat, for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain any remaining fat.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the tomato sauce, kidney beans, corn, tomato and chili powder. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir periodically.
- Place 1 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each dish. Arrange 2 cups of tortilla chips around the chicken. Dot the chicken and chips with 2 heaping teaspoons of sour cream. Sprinkle the chicken and chips with 1/4 cup shredded cheese, and then 1/8 cup green onions.
- Heat each serving in the microwave, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Calories: 700 per serving