Serves: 6, 4-inch subs
- 450 to 600 grams chicken pieces (about 4 chicken thighs)
- or (2 cups leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store)
- 1 small yellow onion (about 3/4 cup), rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 large green pepper (about 2 cups), sliced into large cubes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 or 7 button mushrooms (about 1-1/2 cups), sliced
- 2, 12-inch long multi-grain baguettes, each sliced into 3 sections
- 28 ounce/796 ml can of thick spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese, per sandwich
Cook the chicken pieces in a Dutch oven with 5 cups boiling water, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pinch of black pepper. Follow cooking time as below. Once cooked, allow to cool, before shredding and discarding the skin and bones.
While the chicken cooks, saute the green pepper in oil in a large skillet. Cook, for 7 minutes covered with a lid. Push the green pepper to the side of the pan. Place the mushrooms in a single layer and then continue. Season with salt and black pepper. The mushrooms should be cooked for 10 minutes, or until are lightly browned on each side. Transfer the peppers and mushrooms to a bowl lined with paper towels to soak up any remaining fat.
To assemble each of the subs: slice each baguette into 3 sections. Slice the top half of a baguette. Arrange a layer of chicken (1/3 cup) on the bottom half of a baguette. Spread with dollops of spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/2 teaspoon parmesan. Top the cheese with peppers and mushrooms.
Place 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of spaghetti sauce in a small ramekin to dip the sandwich. Place one on each plate alongside each sandwich.
Heat in the microwave for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Sandwich the two halves of the baguette together. Stir the sauce before serving.
Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 with the remaining subs.
Calories: 410 per 1/3 baguette
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen