Grilled meatball and pineapple kebobs with sesame-ginger barbecue sauce.
Makes 8 servings or 8 skewers
- 1/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 5 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 32 precooked lean meatballs
- 32 1-inch chunks fresh pineapple
- 16 1-inch chunks red bell pepper
- 16 1-inch chunks green bell pepper
- 8 12-inch metal skewers
- To make sauce, whisk together barbecue sauce, soy sauce, gingerroot, honey and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high setting. For each skewer, thread 1 meatball, 1 piece pineapple, 1 piece red and green pepper, then repeat, so that each skewer contains 4 meatballs, 4 pieces pineapple, 2 pieces red pepper and 2 pieces green pepper.
- Brush grill rack lightly with oil. Grill skewers for 12 to 15 minutes, turning and basting generously with sauce every 2 minutes. Serve hot.
- 178 calories per skewer, 1 skewer per person
- 6.3 g total fat
- 3.1 g saturated fat
- 556 mg sodium
– from the book, ‘The Looney Spoons Collection,’ by Janet and Greta Podleski