- Serves: 4 complete meals
- Costs: Approximately $2.60 per serving
- 1 small green pepper (about 2 cups), sliced into strips
- 3 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup), sliced into strips
- 1-1/4 cups rotisserie or cooked chicken, or, 125 grams oven-roasted chicken or turkey sandwich meat, sliced into strips
- 398 ml/14 ounce can of brown beans in tomato sauce, including can juices
- 1-1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2, 6-inch multi-grain or whole grain pita pockets, sliced in half
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced into rounds (optional)
- 4 large leafy green lettuce leaves, or as desired (optional)
Saute the green pepper for 5 to 7 minutes in oil in a large skillet. Cook over a moderate heat until it begins to brown. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and a little browned. Place the vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
Place the sliced chicken in the pan. Add more oil. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken turns a light gold.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the beans, mustard, green pepper and onion. Season with black pepper. Simmer, covered, stirring periodically, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice each pita in half, and then heat in the microwave. Stuff each pita with a large lettuce leaf, 1/2 cup of the chicken and bean mixture and then tomato slices.
Calories: 386 per serving
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen