Food Writer: Carolyn Cashen
- Amount of sodium is questionable. Start with 4 cups stock and add 2 cups water if needed.
… this recipe is made with mainly chow mien noodles and bean sprouts. But in this recipe the amount of vegetables have been increased. Also, the ingredients are cooked in chicken stock rather than deep-fried and coated in a sugary sauce; making this recipe very low in fat and very nutritious.
- Yields: 5 complete meals
- Approximate costs: $1.90 per serving
- Cooking utensils needed: Large, deep skillet with a lid, medium-sized saucepan
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon frozen ginger root, grated
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup), diced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil
- 6 cups prepared chicken stock, divided
- .650 kg chicken thighs (about 4 thighs)
- 1 medium-sized red or green bell pepper, (about 2 cups), sliced into thin strips
- 2 stalks celery, (about 1 cup), sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced into thin strips
- 1-1/2 cups snow peas, ends trimmed, sliced into thin strips
- 218 ml can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 servings chow mien noodles
- 6 cups/454 grams/1 lb. package of bean sprouts
- Saute the garlic, ginger and onion in oil in a large deep skillet. Cook over a moderate heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until the garlic is lightly browned and the onion begins to turn a little translucent.
- Add 4 cups of the stock, the chicken and the bay leaf. Bring to boil. Cook, covered, over a moderate heat for 40 minutes. Turn the chicken halfway through cooking time.
- While the chicken cooks, chop the red bell pepper, celery, carrots and snow peas. Add these vegetables to the chicken after it has cooked for 40 minutes. Add the drained can of water chestnuts and the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock as well. Cover and bring back to boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles separately, according to its package directions.
- Place the chicken onto a platter to cool. Place the bean sprouts on top of the vegetables at first. Cover and steam-cook for 3 minutes, or until the bean sprouts begin to wilt. Mix the bean sprouts with the vegetables and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces once its cool enough to handle.
- Toss the noodles with the vegetables and shredded chicken. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Bring just to a boil.