Makes 6 slices (9-inch/23 cm glass pie plate)
- 14 ounce can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, ground cloves
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 13-oz (385 ml) can evaporated skim milk
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices.
- Stir in 2 slightly beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add the evaporated skim milk (shake can before opening) and stir until smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased glass pie plate (this recipe works best in a glass pie plate instead of metal). Bake in a 400 F (200 C) oven for about 40 minutes, or until knife inserted near the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrate 31 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 8 g
- Fat, total 2 g
- Fat, saturated 1 g
- Cholesterol 65 mg
- Sodium 298 ml
– from the book, “Diabetes Meals for Good Health” by, Karen Graham, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator