Try this meal for a unique Asian-inspired dish that’s also easy on the budget. It’s great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Servings: 4 II Preparation time: 15 minutes
1 teaspoon canola oil
8 mushrooms, chopped
1 small zucchini, grated
½ small onion, minced
1 cup canned bean sprouts, drained and rinsed
4 fluid ounces egg substitute
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon Splenda
2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 ½ cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (12 ounces)
- Add the cooking spray and canola oil to a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, and onion. Sauté until the mushrooms are dry and the onions turn clear, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the bean sprouts. Sauté 2-3 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg substitute and egg together. Whisk in the flour and then stir in the vegetable mixture and salt (optional). Mix well.
- Over medium-high heat, re-spray nonstick sauté pan with cooking spray and pour the batter by heaping 1/2 cup to form patties. Cook well on both sides until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove the patties from the pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, Splenda, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Mix well. Add this mixture to the hot pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes to make a gravy.
- Pour the gravy over patties and serve hot.
Recipe Cost: $8.64
Serving Size: 1 patty
- Calories 105
- Carbohydrate 12 g
- Protein 8 g
- Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Sugar 3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1 g
- Cholesterol 50 mg
- Sodium 210 mg
- Potassium 360 mg