- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan, greased
- Makes 24 brownies (1 brownie per serving)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 squares (1 oz/28 g each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring constantlty until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla, mixing well. Whisk in eggs one at a time; beating lightly after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven just until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into bars.
Tips – These brownies are quite dense and chewy. If you prefer more cake-like, add an egg.
Tips – Instead of greasing pans, line them with parchment paper that extends up the sides and over the edges so that you can lift out the brownies in a block. Spraying the pan lighlty with cooking spray or grease it lightly before adding the parchment helps the paper to stick, preventing it from shifting.
- Calories 113
- Carbohydrates 16 g
- Fiber 0 g
- Protein 1 g
- Fat, total 5 g
- Fat, saturated 3 g
- Cholesterol 34 mg
- Sodium 77 mg
– Canada’S 150 Best Diabetes Desserts – Canadian Diabetes Association, Edited by Barbara Selley, BA, RD