- Makes 16 brownies (1 brownie per serving)
- 8-inch square (2 L) cake pan sprayed with vegetable spray
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powdered
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s icing sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a bowl, beat together sugar and margarine. Beat in egg and vanilla, mixing well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking powder; stir into sugar and butter mixture just until blended. Stir in milk and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and bake approximately 18 minutes or until edges start to pull away from pan and center is still a little wet. Let cool slightly before glazing.
- In a small, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar, cocoa and milk; pour over brownies in pan.
Tip: When using margarine, choose a soft (non-hydrogenated) version to limit consumption of trans fats.
Nutrients per serving:
- Calories 105
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Protein 2 g
- Fat, total 5 g
- Fat, saturated 1 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Sodium 74 mg
– from the cookbook ‘Canada’S 150 Best Diabetes Desserts’ – Canadian Diabetes Association, Edited by Barbara Selley, BA, RD